Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Father's rights over illegitimate child

Father's rights over illegitimate child 4 years 3 months ago #15804

  • Sen S.
  • Sen S.'s Avatar
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 1
  • Karma: 0

Would like to inquire about my brother's case. My brother had a relationship before and eventually they got separated. They were never married and they had a child who is now 2yrs old. The child bears the surname of the father as it appears on the birth certificate. The father fully recognize the child as his. He was able to see his son from a distance since they are neighbors but the mother won't allow him to go near the child.
With this, I would earnestly like to seek advice on the following queries:

1. Can the mother change the surname of the Child by omitting the Father's surname and replace it with hers?
2. Does the mother have the right to deprive the father of his son? By not allowing the father to be with the child?
3. Are there any grounds that the mother can file against my brother to deprive him of child visitation as I understand that the custody of the child should always be with the mother?

Thank you so much. Hoping for your reply.
Last Edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Sen S..
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Father's rights over illegitimate child 3 years 11 months ago #16421

  • Atty. Libayan
  • Atty. Libayan's Avatar
  • Administrator
  • Please contact us for all your legal needs.
  • Posts: 3361
  • Thank you received: 354
  • Karma: 49
1. No if for the simple reason that she just wants to change it. However, if the reason is provided for by the rules 108 and 103, yes.

2. No, but the mother has sole custody of the child. Every action should be based on the best interest of the child.

3. Because they are not married, the custody of the child is always with the mother.
"Excellence is our Standard..."
Please note that answering your queries in the free legal advice forum does not create an Attorney-Client relationship.
Seek services of an independent counsel when dealing with legal issues. Legal issues need scrutiny and attention.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum ::


Philippine Lawyers

We go live to answer all your questions

Free Legal Advice Every Wednesdays and Fridays
at 6:00 pm

Facebook Event | YouTube Channel

Season One

Episode 1:  August 31, 2018

Facebook Video | YouTube Video

Episode 2:  September 7, 2018

Facebook Video | YouTube Video

Episode 3:  September 13, 2018

Facebook Video | YouTube Video

Episode 4:  September 21, 2018

Facebook Video | YouTube Live

Episode 5:  September 28, 2018

Facebook Video | YouTube Video

Episode 6:  October 5, 2018

Facebook Video | YouTube Video

Free Legal Advice


If your predicament is urgent; or, when your case is already pending in court; please do not opt for the free legal advice. It is best to get in touch with a lawyer the soonest possible time. I answer all queries here personally but sometimes it may take time because of my busy schedule. Rest assured all will be answered but the time is indefinite. Thank you for understanding.

Ranny Randolf B. Libayan


9:00 AM TO 5:00 PM Monday to Friday

We are also open for appointments on weekends

It is best to contact us for an appointment if you decide to visit us so you will be given priority


Philippine Law Firm


We will represent you in court, administrative, and other tribunal hearings.

Law Firm in Taguig


We provide notarization and drafting of all kinds of legal documents.

Notary Public

Legal Consultation/ Retainer

We provide the best legal advice about anything legal whether it be via retainer or just one time.

Philippines Free Legal Advice

Free Legal Advice Online

We provide free online legal advice just proceed to the forums.